WHAT IS IT?
Battery Edward Chapin was completed in 1904 and possessed two 3-inch rapid fire guns on pedestal mounts with shields. The roofed structure on top of the battery is a CRF (Coincidence Range Finder) hut that was added in 1920. This structure, with the help of two others at Fort Constitution and Fort Stark, helped determine the distance of targets inside the harbor. Behind the battery stands a concrete pillar that supported the DPF (Depression Position Finder) that was completed in 1909. This was surrounded by a wooden structure that housed the equipment used to locate targets within the harbor. Another DPF pillar is located at Fort Stark.
WHO IS IT NAMED AFTER?
The battery was named in honor of Brigadier General of Volunteers Edward P. Chapin of the 44th New York Volunteers. He was awarded his rank posthumously by President Lincoln. Prior to the Civil War, Chapin practiced law in Buffalo, New York and was a member of the Niagaras, a semi pro baseball team. During the conflict he demonstrated bravery numerous times and helped encourage others to join the Union cause. He was killed in action during the assault on Port Hudson, Louisiana in 1863.